Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Tuesday Tip - Thankless Task

Call me old fashioned, but I'm BIG on writing thank you notes. For example, I was very appreciative of what we were given for our wedding and spent many months after our wedding writing every single person who gave us a gift and included a personal note, special to each person, in each one (I still feel bad for the tag that got lost off of the tea kettle and muffin tin that I couldn't sent a thank you note to. If that was you- thank you!). That's why I appreciated this from Emily Post:

QUESTION: I attended a wedding four months ago and gave the couple a check as a gift. The check was cashed, but four months have passed and still no thank-you note! Isn't that too long? (this can be applied to baby shower , bridal shower gifts, etc. too).

ANSWER: The most common complaint-by far- from wedding guests has to do with overdue thank-yous. When a guest goes through the effort of thoughtfully selecting and giving a gift and then nothing happens- sometimes for months- he begins to wonder! "Was the gift ever received? If it was, why hasn't a note been written?" Thank-you notes should be written promptly-at the very least, within three months of receipt of the gift. If you haven't received a note three months after the couple received your gift, it's okay to ask the bride, the groom, or one of their parents if the gift was received. With any luck, a gentle nudge will get your point across and you'll find out if the gift was received and appreciated.

3 comments:

Karly said...

My mom always made us write thank-you notes to my grandparents for our birthday or Christmas present. And my grandma always tells my mom when she got a thank-you note from us because we are the only grandchildren who send them. Some people may think it is old fashioned, but I think it is important to show your gratitude. Anyway, I will get off my soap box. Cool post!

The Caldwell's said...

Oh my gosh!! I'm the girl who hasn't written the thank you notes huh?? I'm so sorry! I have written it to most of the people (including you!)but things got crazy with the green card paper work and I never got to send them out! It's been almost 6 months and I still have all the notes! Waaaaah...I feel so bad! Sorry. I just felt so stupid sending out after so many months but my sister told me it's never too late to say thanks so I will send them!

Kristen H said...

Sugi- you make me laugh. When I post these tips, they are just in general. Lots of times its because the people I work with run into these situations and wonder what they should do :)

No worries- eye- sted- e- o!