Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Can't we all just get along?




Dear Women of Utah County,

STOP. OBESSING. OVER. COUPONS!

I'll admit- once upon a time a couple years ago 'couponing' was once a fun game to me (remember this post?). What with matching coupons to sale items and feeling the rush as you leave a store with more money than you went in with.

But lately in this economic crunch its just become too much.

It was fun back when we helped each other and recognized other fellow savvy shoppers in the store. But it's not as fun when these women have their head down, careful to make eye contact with no one, zooming past other customers trying to get to the cheap/ free product in the store before anyone else can. (actually, that part is really funny to watch. it can get pretty intense!)

And it's not fun anymore when Black Fridays are now weekly routine Monday morning occurances in Utah County with crazy women stampeding over each other to find the right magic shelves in Rite Aids, Walgreens, Albertsons to get the free pink razor or the Colgate toothpaste (or most recently this week the itch relief eye drops).

And no- I don't really believe you when you say that you've slashed your grocery bill in half. I'm gonna blow the whistle and call you on this because I know that the same trip you so-callled 'saved 50% on' was the trip where you bought things that you don't really need and just got for free (denture adhesive and hair color anyone?)

I'm officially on a couponing hiatus until 1 of the following 2 things happen:

(1) We move out of the state of Utah to a place where couponing is still relatively under utilized

(2) This sad economy state that we are in improves and people realize that they weren't really cut out for couponing (get it? cuponing? cut out?) in the first place and give up.














This photo was taken a Monday morning outside the store where the toothbrushes AND Kotex were on rebate for free. j/k.

kinda.

And for the record- I get ONE Sunday paper delievered (not 5, 10, or 15) and I think its really lame when people steal the coupons out of the newspapers at the stand at the grocery store.

6 comments:

The Caldwell's said...

wow, that picture is crazy...

I know, I don't like when people steal cupons and use them over and over when they're not supposed to...

I hope you are feeling better from Chuck a Rama dinner...That's too bad...

Nancy H said...

Shame on people for stealing coupons when they are so easy to get FREE!
Here in TX, coupon shoppers are happy to help each other find the good deals. I met one fellow here that coupon shops for fun. He donates his haul to the local charities!
When I coupon shop, I find I save more money than I can earn subbing. It takes me two hours sometimes, and I only cut coupons for stuff we use, but I average a 50% savings!!! That can be big bucks! It sure made Ted a believer!

V said...

I loved this post! Amen.

I think I'm just not good at it...I end up spending so much time "coupon-ing" that it ends up costing much more than if I had just paid full price out of pocket. (Probably I just stink at it. Haha)

The JNJ Hasleton's said...

Whew, I haven't checked your blog in awhile. I've never been a couponer. My mom was, drove me crazy. Sam's Club is almost always the cheapest, even without sales & coupons.
Too bad they're the devil...........

Aubrey said...

This is timely...I was thinking I should start couponing but the thought exhausts me. here's another excuse to add to my list. :)

Nicole said...

i hate couponing. i could never do it. and i GASP never go to walmart. i know it is totally unamerican