Wednesday, September 16, 2009

So.
















Baby names.

Wait, let me back up.

Up until we found out that we were having a baby girl, the question that I was asked most frequently was "Are you going to find out what it is?" as well as "When do you find out what it is?"

Now that we know the answer to that question, the most frequent question I get is "Have you thought of any names?"

No. Nope. None.

I think that naming a baby is a really big responsibility - so big that we both decided to procrastinate even thinking about it until after we knew what we were having. Now that it's been a few weeks since we found out, we're still procrastinating. And we better get crackin!

Here's the dilemma: choosing a baby name that is unique but not too trendy, that none of your friends/family already have, and that neither you nor your husband associate (especially negatively) with someone they already know.

And then, once you do have a name picked out, your faced with another dilemma: Should we tell people what it is when they ask? I'm leaning toward that answer to that being no... and here's why-

(1) Someone else may steal your baby name (not the biggest concern I have because, in reality, I feel for the baby who will have to go their whole lives knowing that the best their parents could do was take someone else's baby name).

(2) If you do tell others the name you've thought of, you run the risk of having to see their reaction. On one hand they may like it- on the other hand they may (unknowingly) make make a face and then proceed to tell you who they know by that name and are you really going to name your kid that? As if naming a baby wasn't a big enough responsibility, I definitely could do without double guessing myself once we actually do decide on one. But once the kid is born and the name is definite all they can do is smile and nod...

We'll come up with one and it will be a good one - but in the meantime I'm not asking for suggestions - mainly because you may have one that we've kind of already thought of (and I don't want you to get the impression that we stole your name!)

So instead, I'm asking how did you (or your parents, friends, etc.) decide on baby names? I'm a believer in having, especially the middle name, some kind of significant meaning (my middle name Diane is after my mom's friend who brought her into the church), but other than that I got nothing :)

10 comments:

The Harpers said...

I'm not worried. Once you pop that beautiful little girl out, the name will just come to you!

. said...

I read this story by George Albert Smith when I was pregnant and knew immediatly that I wanted to name my son after someone he could look up to (his dad and great-grandfather)

scroll down to:"President George Albert Smith Was Grateful for Good Influences" and read the story.

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=c15d767978c20110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&vgnextoid=198bf4b13819d110VgnVCM1000003a94610aRCRD

Good luck!! It is a big decision!

The Caldwell's said...

Seriously, how do you decide your baby's name? I think it's one of those hardest things to do...We have no idea what to name him!

I personally try to avoid the trendy ones too, since they WILL sound super weird when your baby turns 25 and no one wants to go out with her/him...

I am sure you guys will pick a beautiful name for your girl.

Shannon said...

When I saw your picture I thought you were going to say you had 2 names to come up with. It does run in the family you know...

Ted;Nancy said...

I want you to know I have no names for you all, and will keep my naming skills to my self, good luck with all that :)

Pops

Lindy said...

Hey Guys! Glad I found your blog (through Carrie's). Congrats on the little one. I'm sure you'll come up with a fabulous name. Sometimes you just have to see what they look like first. Our baby's have family middle names and then whatever we want first names. But, yes, it is hard!

David & Karalee Larson said...

We always give the child their own first name and then have the middle name after our postarity. Then in their baby book I add a page about the person they got their middle name from and that persons chariteristics.

Julie Barnes said...

I am sure you will come up with a beautiful name when the time comes. We didnt really think of Edwards name until about a month before. Stephen's grandpa, Edward, died and we decided to name him after Edward. As for choosing a cute girl name and keeping it to yourself, I say... go for it!!

Nancy H said...

If there is a name that you are thinking about, it stays in your mind, and you still like it by the time you have your baby, it is probably a good choice! It worked for "Brant!"

Aubrey said...

Naming is always the hardest part for me. I think the first thing Kimball and I ever disagreed on was baby names. We ended up giving the twins family names, which I love. He always wanted to name his first son Ross after his grandpa. I didn't love the name, but he felt strongly about it and now it's just Ross! I don't associate it with anything anymore because he is his own little person. (does that make sense at all?) anyway, and Tad was the only name we could agree on. :) Good luck!